sonicviz
2023-04-25T01:54:11Z
As described, the map won't show airports or runways anymore.
Rest seems functional.
Aviator
2023-04-25T05:48:09Z
Map elements can be switched on and off using the menu DATA in the MAP screen, check if by any chance you switched them off.

This is also described in the SkyElite Manual.pdf document, page 9.

Hope this helps.
sonicviz
2023-04-25T06:12:11Z
>>Map elements can be switched on and off using the menu DATA in the MAP screen, check if by any chance you switched them off.

No, that's what I mean. Nothing works anymore, apart from one of them, I think NDB is the only one that shows.
Airports, runways etc.

It does show addon airports doesn't it?
Anything that shows in the main map should show, or is it pulling the airport data from somewhere else?

I haven't used SkyElite for ages, just thought I'd try it again.
Aviator
2023-04-25T06:27:57Z
Originally Posted by: sonicviz 

It does show addon airports doesn't it?

Of course, Try to fully restart the software, even reinstall it... just in case files are missing in the folders.

I can assure that Map works, so it is something related to your system.

If the problem persist please send the log.txt file located in SkyElite Data folder to the support email (shown in manuals) just in case there is any clue of the problem in the log file.

Thanks.
Aviator
2023-04-25T06:31:31Z

Anything that shows in the main map should show, or is it pulling the airport data from somewhere else?

Map shows airports, runways, VOR, NDB, ILS route and more. It has its own database so not depending in other product data, not even in the sim data.

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
sonicviz
2023-04-25T06:38:02Z
ah, well. that's a bummer.

I was expecting it to work off the in sim database, like the PMS50 does.

So as you have a separate DB it's never going to match with whats in the sim, unless you have those particular airstrips from the sim also in your db?
Sure, you will have a lot, but a lot of third party adds add airstrips that are not in the main sim, especially for bush flying in places like PNG or BC.
Which is why I noticed it now, because I'm bush flying in BC and none of the addon airstrips I'm using are showing on your map.

http://4flightsims.com/f...ing-airports-and-runways  and I guess it's the same issue.
I was assuming you had a real time connection to pull the airports from MSFS, but it seems to build it manually and only update when you release a new version.

It would be great if we could update the db ourselves, like LittleNavMap lets you update its scenery lib from MSFS and yout community folder so LNM reflects 100% what the sim is in terms of airports etc.
Otherwise it's only partially useful.

Similar also to:
http://4flightsims.com/f...ing-airports-and-runways 
phil
phil
Newbie Topic Starter
2 years ago
The utility from AivlaSoft the Electronic Flight Bag v2 has an included application called DbBuilder. This allows for the airport data to be updated and data includes MSFS stock airports as well as custom addons that are in stalled in the MSFS Community folder.
This updated data is then applied to the main Client application of EFBv2 and all airports are visually visible and usable. I know this because I have the program.
Aviator
2023-04-25T07:08:36Z

It would be great if we could update the db ourselves, like LittleNavMap lets you update it's scenery lib from MSFS and community folder so it reflects what the sim is.

I thought several times about this, and the real problem is licensing. I know many software can update data directly from the sim and stay up to date... but the fact that many people do this does not mean that it is legal. They are just lucky no one is taking actions... so far.

According to the sim policy, and this is not very clear, it is not permitted to load, import or use data from the sim at all, and special mention to commercial EXTERNAL apps. In-sim software, is different....

As an example: many people also asked me why I don't make SkyElite exactly as Garmin G1000 is, a replica, since there are other developers doing this. Simple, I contacted Garmin and they say I cannot do it, is not legal. Of course, I imagined that answer even before sending the question. But if a G1000 is developed internally, in-sim, means that it shows inside the plane cockpit.... then is legal.... there is a huge difference between developing external apps or in-sim tools.

And Garmin knows there are many products in the market without the permission of Garmin, not meeting the licensing. I simply don't want to be there if some day they start cleaning the room.

Going back to the matter, Same thing here, I developed and external app and I'm still trying to find a legal way to import the sim data, I will do this when I find the way.

LittleNavMap is free and open source, which has a total different approach related to the licensing... and still... not very clear.

sonicviz
2023-04-25T07:19:59Z
Sure, I understand the licensing issues.

I don't think you need to clone a G1000, there's enough of those already - not to mention Working Title is vastly improving the insim options to make most of those unneeded as well.

SkyElite is fine as it is, it's a useful second screen cockpit with a lightweight map and some flight plan monitoring.
Knowing what your app is, who it's aim at, and what it does differently from the EFB/G1000/G3000++ type competition.
https://flightsim.to/fil...sfs-mobile-companion-app 

If you could solve the db synchronisation issue it would be solid.